A retro-inspired modern truck is getting one more old school option that’s sure to turn heads. The Kenworth W990 is going to come in a 52” flat top sleeper version.
Back in November, at the Auto Hauler Association of America, Kenworth announced that a 52” flat roof sleeper will be available mid-2021. This exciting new product offering will be optionable on the T680, T880, and W990 models.
The flat roof sleeper will allow Kenworth to re-enter the Car Hauler market. In addition to Car Hauler, the 52” flat-roof sleeper is ideal for height restricted applications—including crane and pump—that may require a low roof.
All of the details
Marker lights, beacons, airhorns, and vertical stacks are also available, making the flat roof sleeper an excellent option for image-conscious customers. In other words, this is going to be a rather large look for the W990.
The Car Hauler spec will also be available with an all-new 6.5” ride height Airglide 400L 40K rear suspension. To clear upper racks, the W990 will be made available with an RH under DPF/SCR and a horizontal tailpipe.
Both the T680 and T880 are already available with either an RH under DPF/SCR and horizontal tailpipe or an under rail DPF/SCR exhaust system. To allow for a low ride height, set forward front axle models (W990 and T880S) are already available with a 5” drop front axle that lowers the front of the truck 1.5” compared to a standard 3.5” drop.
Truck height is critical in Car Hauler applications. As such, the truck can be spec’d so that the overall laden height stays under 104.5” tall.
- 255/70R22.5 tires on the rear and 275/80R22.5 tires on the front
- 295/60R22.5 tires front and rear
- Smaller 22.5” diameter fuel tanks for maximum ground clearance
Kenworth’s 2.1M cab combined with the new 52” flat top sleeper will provide a premium driver experience and will include:
- 56” of standing room inside of the sleeper
- Triple-sealed door for a quiet ride
- A large door and a 72” opening angle for easier ingress and egress
- Standard A and B pillar grab handles for safe vehicle entry
- Under door lighting which illuminates steps and the ground
- Fully trimmed premium interior
- Full-color driver’s display
- Smartwheel available with cruise control and radio control on steering wheel
- The latest driver assistance features, including roll stability, adaptive cruise control, and collision mitigation
- A full truck kit which provides air and light lines to the end of the frame
- Remote PTO controls available from the factory for easy upfit
ICYMI: UPDATE New Standard Paint for W990
Back in late November, Kenworth also added new standard paint options to the W990. The two new standard multicolor paint design options are the Arrowhead and Palouse designs. Currently, these paint schemes are available for daycab and sleeper models. These two colors are available in 2- and 3-color options as shown below.
Below are example sketches of the new designs on a W990 76-inch midroof sleeper: